Friday, January 4, 2013

Review: Let The Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger

Let the Sky Fall (Let the Sky Fall, #1)
Let The Sky Fall 
by Shannon Messenger

Release Date: March 5, 2013
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 416
Genre: YA Sylphs
Source: ARC
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository
Haunt Author: Website | Facebook | Twitter



Seventeen-year-old Vane Weston has no idea how he survived the category five tornado that killed his parents. And he has no idea if the beautiful, dark-haired girl who’s swept through his dreams every night since the storm is real. But he hopes she is. Seventeen-year-old Audra is a sylph, an air elemental. She walks on the wind, can translate its alluring songs, and can even coax it into a weapon with a simple string of commands. She’s also a guardian—Vane’s guardian—and has sworn an oath to protect Vane at all costs. Even if it means sacrificing her own life. When a hasty mistake reveals their location to the enemy who murdered both of their families, Audra’s forced to help Vane remember who he is. He has a power to claim—the secret language of the West Wind, which only he can understand. But unlocking his heritage will also unlock the memory Audra needs him to forget. And their greatest danger is not the warriors coming to destroy them—but the forbidden romance that’s grown between them.

Vane Weston is the last Westerly but he doesn't even know it. When his parents died, his memories were erased and he was sent to live with groundings. Audra is a Guardian of the Gale Force and has watched over him for the last ten years. When Audra accidentally leaves a mark on the winds that will lead the enemies to her, she must awake Vane's abilities and train him within a week to be able to defeat an army of Stormers coming for him. It is told in alternating POVs.

This one is a little hard for me because there was a lot I liked but at the same time it was a bit too slow for me. Vane and Audra train for the entire book which is to build up to an exiting conclusion where the stormers are going to come attack. Then two little itty bitty Stormers come and that is it. A bit of a let down for a 400 page build up. Secondary characters are almost non-existent except for a few scenes with his parents and best friend. I also found the wind commands a little hokey but I haven't read much about sylphs so I don't know that there is a way to talk to the wind that doesn't sound cheesy. lol

Since Vane is the last Westerly, he is the last one that can control the Western winds. Someone that is able to control all four winds would be the most powerful Sylph. Our villain Raiden wants Vane to teach him Westerly but Raiden doesn't appear in this book. There was one twist that took me awhile to figure out. As much as I wanted more action, I did enjoy the banter and relationship build of Vane and Audra. Audra was strong and determined to fulfill her duties while Vane was a bit more rebellious. Vane trained hard because he didn't want Audra to get hurt. Realistically I can't really blame Vane for being upset that so much rests on his shoulders. A somewhat slow but still good start to the series. I look forward to hopefully getting into more action and more sylph background in the next book.




"We can get back to training later. After you've had a chance to cool off."
He laughs. "I'm not the one who looked hot and bothered earlier."
I'm not current with grounding slang, but I'm fairly certain what he's implying-and he's wrong.
"Anyway," I say, changing the subject-quickly. "I recommend taking a nap. We'll be putting in a long night tonight."
"Sounds good to me," he says, his smile stretching wider.
I roll my eyes. "For training, Vane. We'll tackle some of the harder skills tonight, when it's dark and the winds pick up."
"Looking forward to it."

Rating: 4/5

14 comments:

  1. I love that this is a different group of paranormals than the regular fare. Looking forward to reading the banter and finding out more about Vane and Audra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has a very interesting premise and it's one of my most anticipated read of 2013. It's really too bad about that ending wasn't as exciting and explosive as you wanted it to be. I would expect it to be freaking epic. Still, I love the ideas behind the book and I will definitely give it a shot when it comes out.
    Great, honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds really different and unusual from most of the YA books out right now, I really like that about it.
    Great review and I love the cover on this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, slow? I don't like slow. That's a bummer to hear but I am glad you enjoyed it overall! I'm excited to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, I've been very curious about this book. Now? Not so much. I think the premise sounds cool, but the ending seems like a huge letdown. Love that cover, though! Tganjs for the informative review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love , love, love the cover! And the idea of controlling the wind. Like, talk about original and lovely. I think that I will read this , of course, sometime soon
    GREAT review!
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the cover but I hate slow books (unless they are contemporaries). Bummer, I was/am really looking forward to this one, really sounds unique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well it has some awesome ideas but the slow pace and small payoff are definitely a bit of a let down. Hope you are having a good start to your New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sound of this. Rather than the boy being the guardian the girl is. Definitely looking forward to reading this and great tease as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been really wanting to read this one. It sounds so interesting. It's too bad that it wasn't as good as you were hoping it to be, but I am glad you still did really enjoy it. Sounds like the end is quite a let down especially with a book of this length to really have a great build up. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a pretty awesome book :) I've had my eye on it for a while and hopefully book 2 isn't as slow paced as this one, but I will definitely be checking this book out when it releases! Awesome review :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm actually really looking forward to this one, but the slow pace doesn't sound fun. I'll probably still try it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really want to read this novel. The cover is gorgeous and the story seems so interesting. Great review! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds interesting. Is this like a paranormal book set it modern times ? Or is it an alternate universe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and commenting! I read and love every single comment!