Friday, May 25, 2012

Review: Wake by Amanda Hocking

Wake by Amanda Hocking

Release Date: August 7, 2012
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Pages: 320
Genre: YA Sirens
Source: ARC
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository
Haunt Author: Website | Facebook | Twitter
 
Beautiful. Fearless. Dangerous. They're the kind of girls you envy; the kind of girls you want to hate. Strangers in town for the summer, Penn, Thea, and Lexi have caught everyone's attention, including the eye of practical Harper. But it's her sister, Gemma, they've chosen to be part of their group. Sixteen-year-old Gemma seems to have it all - carefree, pretty, and falling in love with the boy next door. But her greatest passion has always been the water. She craves late night swims under the stars, where she can be alone yet belong to the sea. Lately she's had company. Penn, Thea, and Lexi spend their nights dancing, singing, and partying on the cove - and one night Gemma joins them. When she wakes up groggy on the beach the next morning, she knows something has changed. Suddenly Gemma is stronger, faster, and more beautiful than ever. As she uncovers the truth about her new mythical powers, Gemma is forced to choose between staying with those she loves or entering a dark world brimming with unimaginable secrets.  ADD TO GOODREADS

Gemma loves the water and takes a nightly swim in the ocean. Only problem is three other girls have noticed her beauty and love of the water. Three girls that used to be a group of four... Three girls that are very creepy and seem to be stalking Gemma. Gemma's sister, Harper, doesn't want Gemma anywhere near them. Harper is a very protective older sister and takes care of Gemma, ever since their mom got in a horrible car accident and is now living in a care home. Gemma is a dedicated swimmer planning to head to the Olympics one day and she doesn't want to give up her nightly swims. It's the one time she can relax and just enjoy the water.

I liked the family dynamic of the story. I felt a strong sisterly connection between the two girls. They also have a very caring father that sets curfews and loves them very much. They are still lonely though because their Dad has to work and is still mourning his wife who will never be the same. Then there is the sweet next door neighbor, Alex, who has been Harper's best friend forever. He has always had a thing for Gemma and they begin flirting when she needs a ride to the ocean one night. Alex is the sweet nerdy type and even though Gemma is known for her beauty, I love that she saw the good in Alex all along. Harper is a little more distant because she has had to take on a mom role for so long. A cute guy down at the docks where her dad works is interested but she continually blows him off. Harper is the more logical sister while Gemma is more of a free spirit. 

The creepy girls, Penn, Thea, and Lexi hang around town in the summer. They used to have a fourth girl and now that she is gone they want Gemma. One night they talk her into hanging out with them and she wakes up not remembering a thing. But she notices that she is different and there may be no way to change back. There was an interesting history to the girls and they were incredibly scary. They did some sick things I was not expecting. I honestly have no clue what Gemma and Harper are going to do to get Gemma out of this situation but I am curious to find out.    

The book sets up the series really well but not very much happens. I did like that I got to know the characters really well. I liked the book but I think the reason why I didn't fully love it was because it wasn't written in first person POV. I think it was so that we got to know both Gemma and Harper and it was also to set up the next book. It makes sense but it was just harder for me to enjoy personally. At the end there was a bit of action but things were left very open. The series is supposed to release one book every six months so at least we don't have to wait too long. I've found the same to be true with some of Amanda Hocking's other books. The first book is usually not my favorite so I am expecting the series to pick up in the next three books after this.

"That, of course, isn't the worst part of the curse, " Thea explained with a wry smile. "Every man would fall in love with their voice, their lovely appearance, but no man would ever get past that. They'd never really know the girls for who they actually were, never really love them. It would be impossible for any of the four girls to ever really fall in love and be genuinely loved in return."

"But what if I..." Gemma trailed off and lowered her eyes, thinking of Harper, her parents, Alex. She lifted her head, meeting Penn's eyes. "I don't want this."
"Then you will die," Penn said. She shrugged, as if she couldn't care less, but her voice was hard and her eyes burned. "If that's what you wish, then so be it."

Rating: 4/5 Stars!

7 comments:

  1. I've been curious about this book. I think it seems good, but I wasn't a fan of Switched. I prefer my books to be written in 1st person pov also. I don't know, I'll probably give Wake a shot at some point.
    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you enjoyed the book! I have seen it around but have not read it yet! My TBR list just keeps growing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh God! You've got to be joking wth me! Is it that good? Gotta add this to my TBR pile.

    Great review! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOoh nice!! Was curious about this one! I loved the cover! So pretty with the blues! I might have to add this to the TBR pile once it releases! I have so many of Amanda's books but I've only read one! Sooooo behind on her series!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this on my TBR list. Any YA novel with mermaid types sounds like a good catch to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY JEN! I have an ARC of this one on my shelf too and I'm so excited to start it because I loved Amanda Hocking's Trylle Trilogy and we don't get very many sirens in YA fiction! :) I used to love third person POVs best, but now first person ones are my favourite too because they make it so much easier to connect with a character. I don't think I'll mind too much that this book is more of a set-up because a lot of books seem to be the same nowadays -- I'm just glad that you enjoyed it! It's making me really anxious to pick this up! x)

    Amazing review, Jen! Don't you just love books that add that family element too? :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer 1st person as well. I feel like I connect to the characters much more. I really do want to read this book. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and commenting! I read and love every single comment!