Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Review: Existence by Abbi Glines

Existence
by Abbi Glines

Release Date: December 13, 2011
Publisher: Wild Child Publishing
Pages: 194
Genre: YA Paranormal/Ghosts/Reapers/Death
Source: Amazon Kindle
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Haunt Author: Website | Facebook | Twitter

What happens when you're stalked by Death? You fall in love with him, of course.

Pagan Moore doesn't cheat Death, but instead, falls in love with him.

Seventeen year old Pagan Moore has seen souls her entire life. Once she realized the strangers she often saw walking through walls were not visible to anyone else, she started ignoring them. If she didn't let them know she could see them, then they left her alone. Until she stepped out of her car the first day of school and saw an incredibly sexy guy lounging on a picnic table, watching her with an amused smirk on his face. Problem is, she knows he's dead.

Not only does he not go away when she ignores him, but he does something none of the others have ever done. He speaks. Pagan is fascinated by the soul. What she doesn't realize is that her appointed time to die is drawing near and the wickedly beautiful soul she is falling in love with is not a soul at all.

He is Death and he's about to break all the rules.

I'm sorry to say I didn't enjoy this one much. Pagan can see souls so when she sees Dank hanging around, she just assumes he is another lost soul. But he can talk to her and no other soul has. Dank pops up every now and then but Pagan just goes about her life. She even meets and falls for Leif, a super cute, sweet, and wonderful guy. They begin dating and everything is perfect in her life for awhile.

Where does Dank come in? Well he was just around. I never felt like I got to know him at all. He hangs around protecting Pagan and plays his guitar. I was mostly swooning over Leif the whole time. What really made this book not enjoyable for me was that Pagan becomes one of those weepy, whiny heroines that feels sorry for herself because she can't be with Dank. She cries all day, ignores her friends, and basically doesn't want to do anything if she can't be with Dank. Although even though Dank is ignoring her she says she will forgive him of anything and continues to use Leif for comfort.

Then at one point she even goes into a mental institution and doesn't want to leave because she thinks then Dank won't sing to her at night anymore! That just pushed it too far for me. There was a bit of a cliff hanger involving Leif. I'm curious to learn more about him, since he was the only thing I liked about this book, but the sequel won't be high on my list. I do have Vincent Boys by this author on my kindle and plan to give Breathe a try sometime. Hopefully I enjoy those more than this.

"I don't want you to just be my tutor. I want you to be the girl I look for in the halls every morning and save a seat for in the cafeteria. I want you to be the one waiting for me when I walk off the field at my games. I want you to be the one I pick up the phone to call just to make me smile."

"I don't dislike Leif. He isn't like what I thought. I was wrong about him. However, I'm also not hot after him."
"Well, I'm glad to know you're not hot after me. One less worry on my mind."

Rating: 3/5 Stars!

19 comments:

  1. I had the same experience with this book. I actually didn't finish it. Pagan seemed so strong in the beginning and I hated how clingy,needy and whiny she became. I didn't like Dank. And I felt really bad for Leif. He didn't deserve to be treated the way Pagan treated him. I like the author's writing style. I almost kept on reading because she does have away of keeping you glued to the pages. But I just couldn't endure anymore from the characters. It was depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost gave up too! 60%-80% I was suffering and rolling my eyes. Nothing happened but Pagan cried over someone she didn't even know! She was super whiny. I did like her writing and part of me was hooked but this story just wasn't for me. Whiny heroines are a big pet peeve of mine. I can look past it a little but it was really extreme in this one!

      Delete
  2. It's a shame you didn't enjoy this more. I'm still pretty interested by the description though. I hope I end up liking it more! Great review, Jennifer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it sounded really good! I was super excited so I ended up disappointed. Some will enjoy this so hopefully you will. If you don't mind the whiny, clingy heroine types then you will be fine. But it is just one of my big reading pet peeves. Come back and let me know once you get a chance to read it!

      Delete
  3. That's just so sad ... I really liked the cover and it seem to be an interesting new kind of YA! And I'm a bit surprised by this review! I will probably read it anyway but thanks for this great review, I agree with that part: Then at one point she even goes into a mental institution and doesn't want to leave because she thinks then Dank won't sing to her at night anymore! Oh my god! LOL
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in love with the cover! By the end of the book I was like I want nothing to do with this guy! LOL Yeah the fact that she is so in love with him that she wants to torture her friends and family by staying in a mental institution was just ridiculous. I want a smarter and stronger heroine. One that will say well you don't want to be with me, screw you. But instead she whined and it is a big no no for me in books. But give it a try and hopefully she doesn't annoy you the way she did me.

      Delete
  4. Oh bummer! I have this on my kindle as well and thought it sounded pretty good! I don't like whiny heroines! Will still give it a try though, just might not let it sit at the top of my towering TBR stack, including kindle books! Great review though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a big bummer. I was really excited about this one. But every now and then I eventually have to not like something. Hopefully you enjoy it more than me! Good luck and let me know when you eventually get to it.

      Delete
  5. I really liked Leif. He was by far my favorite character.
    Nice, honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Leif! He was so sweet. He said some pretty swoon worthy quotes.

      Delete
  6. It feels so weird reading about a hot guy named Leif. I associate the name with old or middle aging Norwegian men ;) It's a common name here.

    Not sure if I will be picking up this novel but I appreciate your honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Leif is a weird name. I think of him as a character in the My Blood Approves series by Amanda Hocking. Thanks for checking out my review!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome :) If you want to share some of Leif's swoon worthy quotes then be sure to visit my blog on Monday because I'm starting a new meme(and giving away a book). Ok, enough of that shameless selfpromotion. Have a wonderful weekend, Jennifer!

      Delete
  7. I haven't read this book and if the main female character is as weak as you say I may not read it. Thanks for the warning. That would give me a headache. I would torture myself trying to finish it just because I hate to quit on a book. The whole time I would talk myself into finding some good in it because I hate to give low rating. Now I have a question because the synopsis was intriguing...is Dank like a reaper or something? (If you don't want to spoil on your blog, then email me the answer. I really would like to know.)

    Thanks & great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to quit on a book too. I almost did but it was short so I just pushed through and I was curious. Dank is considered death. I don't think it's too much of a spoiler since it's in the description but there are also reapers. I guess his job is a little different. I think he is death and then the reaper leads the souls onto their next life? I was actually a little unclear on what purpose everyone had but it was something like that.

      Delete
  8. I have this book on my TBR pile for awhile. It's too bad that the main character is a whiny girl! I'm quite intrigued however why Dank follows her all around. The blurb is very interesting, I actually though that he is some kind of guy in black hoodie, the usual clothes for reaper lol. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it does sound interesting. I liked the idea of the plot but I just hated the main girl. I hate whiny heroines. Hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to give it a try.

      Delete
  9. Ugh. I hate weepy whiny heroines. They're everywhere I look these days. Too bed you didn't enjoy it more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they are overtaking the YA world! LOL I don't mind a few flaws, no one is perfect, but Pagan pushed my easy going buttons a bit far. Especially when she had wonderful Leif! But not she just kept whining that she couldn't have Dank even though she knew nothing about him.

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting and commenting! I read and love every single comment!