Friday, May 25, 2012

Review: Arise by Tara Hudson

Arise (Hereafter #2) 
by Tara Hudson

Release Date: June, 5 2012
Publisher: Harper Collins
Pages: 404
Genre: YA Ghosts
Source: ARC
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository
Haunt Author: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Amelia—still caught between life and death—must fight for every moment of her relationship with the human boy Joshua. They can hardly even kiss without Amelia accidentally dematerializing. Looking for answers, they go to visit some of Joshua’s Seer relatives in New Orleans. But even in a city so famously steeped in the supernatural, Amelia ends up with more questions than answers…and becomes increasingly convinced that she and Joshua can never have a future together.Wandering through the French Quarter, Amelia meets other in-between ghosts, and begins to seriously consider joining them. And then she meets Gabrielle. Somehow, against impossible odds, Gaby has found a way to live a sort of half-life...a half-life for which Amelia would pay any price. Torn between two worlds, Amelia must choose carefully, before the evil spirits of the netherworld choose for her.   ADD TO GOODREADS

Amelia is traveling with Joshua and his family to New Orleans to visit his Grandmother. Joshua assures Amelia that no other family members have had triggering events so she should remain invisible. A big shocker when they get there and the family knows all about Amelia, thanks to Joshua's sister, and one friend of the family can even see her. The rest of the cousins can hear her because they have been working on using their abilities even though they haven't had a triggering event yet. Amelia finds this nice because she can finally go out on a date to a dance club with Joshua like a real couple.

Amelia is keeping some things from Joshua though. She should have been up front with him but instead she hides the fact that she may not be safe after all. Someone from the past visited her dreams with a warning. Amelia hides it thinking she is keeping Joshua and his family safe but I hate when characters do this because it all comes out in the end and makes everything worse. Joshua notices her distance and thinks it's because she is still unable to handle some of her ghostly abilities. He takes her to a voodoo priestess who performs a ritual on Amelia resulting in some unexpected consequences.

Amelia is also struggling with the future of her and Joshua. She knows eventually he is going to grow up and want a girlfriend that he can introduce to his friends and family. Joshua is so sweet though and continually tells her he doesn't care. He just wants to be with her anyway he can. I've always found their relationship very sweet. I love their scenes together. I found this book to have a bit more action than the first book. I loved the first book for the romance but I found myself enjoying this one for the mystery. It was a bit predictable but I loved the New Orleans sitting and the new characters introduced. Amelia has learned a lot more about being a ghost and I'm really hoping in the next book she will find a way for her and Joshua to have a happy ending. That is one reason why I usually don't read ghost books because I hate for a series to end without an HEA.

Hovering there, I studied Joshua's face for a moment: his midnight-sky colored eyes, his full mouth, his high cheekbones. Then I peeked at the nearly-bare body extending beneath that face. And beneath me.
"Well," I murmured, "since I'm already here..."
Then I dipped down and pressed my lips to his again.

"You always look great, Amelia"
I shook my head. "I always look the same, Joshua."
"Yeah-great."
"Stop second guessing yourself," he said gently.. "You look beautiful. Perfect."

Rating: 4/5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting and commenting! I read and love every single comment!