Monday, November 21, 2011

Need 
by Carrie Jones 

Published December 23rd 2008
306 Pages

Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now. She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara. In this creepy, compelling breakout novel, Carrie Jones delivers romance, suspense, and a creature you never thought you'd have to fear.

Zara's stepfather just died and she is depressed. Her mom decided to send her to Maine to live with her grandmother in the hopes that some new scenery, mostly snow and cold, would bring some happiness back into her life. But there is a strange man that she has seen following her from Charleston to Maine and the kids at school think he is a pixie who is in desperate NEED for a queen. Without a queen the king is weak and in need of sacrificial blood from young boys. Two boys just went missing and Zara is determined to figure out how to stop it. But this happened before and her grandmother knows more than she is saying. Also she has two guys Ian and Nick that are interested in her but seem to have some supernatural secrets as well.

Interesting and unique mix of pixies and werewolves, I found the story very enjoyable. I also loved Zara's use of phobia's. I actually have a huge print out of the names of all the phobia's also. Zara recites phobias when she is scared to calm herself. "Pixiophobia a fear of pixies I made this up, but believe me it should be a word because it sure is a legitimate fear" Zara uses her friends and bravery to hunt down and figure out who and what the pixie King really wants and it is a surprising discovery. A bit slow through the beginning but as the story unfolds a lot of shocking and weird discoveries unfold. Not to mention the evil pixies a bit gruesome.

"A pixie's true skin color is blue. Cookie Monster, Grover, and other lovable Muppets are also blue. Do not confuse the two. Muppets don't kill you. Usually."
"I like a lot of things that aren't good for me."

"He wipes his hand on his shirt." "What? Did I drool on you?" "A little." "You're a wolf. You should be used to drool." "That's low."

 Rating: 4/5 Pixies!

                               

14 comments:

  1. I loved this series, Astley is my favorite! (=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE ASTLEY! I need to read the third book soon! I need more of him!

      Delete
  2. I was trying to click on captivate but it keeps me on need. I saw you are team Astley. So am I don't get me wrong I like Nick, but too much has changed and I think Astley is better!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! I fixed it! You can view the Captivate review through the link now. Sorry about that. I think Astley is way better too!

      Delete
  3. This is a new book/author for me. This book sounds really good. I have added it to my book wish list.

    jmesparza821(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it! I enjoyed the two books I have read from this series so far. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I liked this book! It's cool to see a phobia at the top of each chapter, relating to what's going on within the chapter. It's clever. I like how it's different, using pixies as the magical creature. And I do love Nick :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the phobias. They were interesting and also set up the chapter. Nick is cool but I LOVE Astley! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. I have not read these books but this does sound good. I love the quote about the Muppets! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books were great. I am actually trying to make time to read the third book soon. There are a lot of great quotes throughout the book. Some great humor. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. I really liked Need I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked it up (I got it because of the cover) but I was excited that the book was just as great as the cover. I too liked how Zara recited phobias when she was scared.
    Nice Review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the phobias. I actually printed out a long list of them when I was younger. There are some really interesting ones!

      Delete
  7. This sounds like great fun with a lovely mix of humour. I'm always looking for thinks a little different, and this maybe the one! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! This was a different type of fairy story and there was some great humor. I hope you enjoy it if you get a chance to read it!

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting and commenting! I read and love every single comment!